Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Get Messy Art Journal: Season of Dreams


The Season of Dreams at Get Messy Art Journal was so inspiring! Even though I only completed a few spreads, the ones I created hold so much meaning for me. We were encouraged to keep a dream journal to record our dreams during the night, but I mainly focused on dreams in terms of my hopes and aspirations. 


The first week I created this mandala dream catcher. Drawing the mandala portion was so relaxing, and I became completely lost in thought pondering my dreams and aspirations.  I used some of my own handmade washi tape feathers to add a three-dimensional aspect to the page. I think interactive pages add so much interest to an art journal, and I love the tactile quality of these feathers on the string. I remember making a dream catcher years ago when I was a young Girl Scout, and I hung it on my door every night. It was adorned in beads, sequins, and feathers and I truly believed in its magical powers. I love the idea that the nightmares pass through, but the dreams are kept.


In this spread I illustrated what I believe is happening in my brain as I sleep. I tend to have strange, sometimes insane dreams, but I try to focus on the positive parts. I relate it to creating found poetry. When I look at text in a book, I try to pick out words that speak to me so I can create a beautiful, inspiring poem. Here the poem reads, "Like a rare butterfly / She would survive it / To be free again". To me, these words are so powerful and so uplifting. I also love the brilliant gold against the stark black background to represent me finding the light in darkness.


Finally, I come to this spread in my journal which came together very spontaneously. I was looking through my magazine scraps and found the image of the clock, and then I came across the "I'll do it later" text in a pile of words I had cut out. I instantly thought about my new endeavors and finding the courage to follow my dreams. This serves as a little "note to self" that I must go after my dreams with great passion and vigor. There is no point in waiting or putting it off. The time is now!


I am excited to announce that I will be a Creative Team Member for Get Messy Art Journal in 2017! This year I have come to realize that the smallest steps sometimes have the biggest impact. I made the decision to follow my heart's desire despite the fear and the doubt, and now I am so honored to be able to share my love of art journaling with such an incredible community of artists and creatives. 

What are your hopes, dreams, and aspirations? What steps have you taken to follow your dreams and create a life you love?
~
Get Messy Art Journal is an art journaling program/community. We are a group of like minded art journalers who have come together under this art form to learn, share, practice our skills and push past our creative limits with hopes to inspire. Our community values consistent creating, encouragement and support, and trying new things. We would love to have you join us as a member of Get Messy Art Journal. Join Get Messy now!

No comments:

Post a Comment