Powered by Blogger.

Monday, March 13, 2017

Journal 02: Trying New Things

One Year, Twelve Journals: This year I want to make it a habit to art journal on a regular basis. So, I've decided to create 12 art journals for myself, and my goal is to complete one for each month of the year.

This February I decided to experiment with layers and patterns. It's quite a shift from my usual minimalist style, but I did enjoy the process. Many of the spreads started with random scraps of paper glued down, and then I doodled floral patterns on top. I'm not in love with these pages, but the pen detailing and pattern play are ideas I'd like to implement in my future work.

"Exploring"
{collage, pen, and marker}

"Blooming"
{collage, pen, and marker}

" Remember"
{acrylic, collage, and pen}

"Into the Jungle"
{collage, pen, and marker}

"Dreams to the Moon"
{collage, pen, and marker}

"Don't Waste Time"
{collage, pen, and marker}

"Magic Machine"
{collage, pen, and marker}

"To Paisley"
{collage, stamps, and pen}
So far I'm enjoying working in these smaller handmade journals. There's less pressure to make perfectly complete pages, and I feel more open to experimenting than I ever have before. You can see pages from my January journal here.
~
What's your favorite type of journal or sketchbook? Do you feel free to play or experiment in your journals or do you usually plan your pages ahead of time with a set idea in mind?

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Julia! It was a lot of fun just playing and making marks.

      Delete