Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, April 9, 2017

Get Messy Art Journal: Basic Bookbinding Class

Y'all, binding books may be my new favorite thing! It just makes your art journal or sketchbook that much more special knowing that you made it yourself. I followed the Long Stitch lesson in the Basic Bookbinding course from Vanessa at Get Messy Art Journal. I'm still searching for the perfect book with a decorative cover, but right now I have a couple nice sized books to work with.
The course is great for beginners! It features step by step instructions for four different book binding techniques: Pamphlet stitch, Long stitch, Coptic stitch, and French-link stitch. I didn't have some of the tools listed in the course, but I still managed to make it work with materials I had on hand. My journal has three signatures made up of four pages each, and I used embroidery floss to bind it.
I've decided to use it as a prayer/faith journal, and I've already collected some ephemera to use in it.
This is the very first page, and I just love it! I used mixed media paper to handle layers and layers of paint and collage. I'm just having so much fun experimenting with the techniques I learned during the Season of Art 101 at Get Messy.
Now, I'm on to the next one. Can't wait to try the Coptic stitch and French-link stitch too!
Have you ever tried book binding? What's your favorite stitch?
~
Get Messy Art Journal is an art journaling program/community. We are a group of like minded art journalers who have come together under this art form to learn, share, practice our skills and push past our creative limits with hopes to inspire. Our community values consistent creating, encouragement and support, and trying new things. We would love to have you join us as a member of Get Messy Art Journal. Join Get Messy now!

No comments:

Post a Comment